Monday, February 4, 2013

Why You Should Not Refreeze Meat

You probably have heard before that once you thaw meat that has been frozen, you cannot freeze it again. Of course, we all have. But, did you ever wonder why you couldn't refreeze previously frozen meats? I know I wondered for the longest time. There are many reasons why, but I'm going to tell you the main reasons.

If a meat that contains fat is refrozen the fat within the meat may potentially cause the meat to go bad. More the most part all of your meats will have some fat in them. If it was already frozen once and you go to refreeze it again it may make your meats rancid. I don't know about you, but I don't want to eat rancid meat. And I definitely do not want a good cut of meat to go to waste.

Another reason is refreezing previously frozen meat will impact the texture of the meat. You don't want to ruin the texture of a good cut of steak. So, do not freeze previously frozen meats.